Sunday, May 29, 2011

Restaurant Review: Mt. Fuji

I feel bad that I have not been doing my Wednesday and Friday blog posts. Hopefully this week I will have more time.

For Bear's birthday we had Hibachi at Mount Fuji. Something everyone should try at least once in their lifetime. We try to go at least once a year. Hibachi is actually Teppanyaki cooking but somehow or other Americans started calling it Hibachi. A group of people sit around a huge flat grill where the chef does performance cooking while preparing the meals for everyone at the table. This year we had the best chef ever. He had us all laughing. The more you interact with the chef the better he will perform. They will flip eggs (still in shells) around on the spatula, make them spin, then tossed them in the air to catch them in a pocket (more than one egg in the same pocket and yet none ever break), and of course make a volcano that erupts out of onion rings, all while flipping spatulas in the air. While the show is delightful the food is even better. Miso soup and a salad are served first then comes the show and dinner all for about $15. I had enough left overs just from my plate that it lasted me for 3 more meals. Not a bad price when you figure you get a show and 4 meals out of it. Just to throw some cuteness in. I made this breakfast for a friend this weekend. Tamagoyaki, panda bear rice ball, and strawberries. Tamagoyaki is a rolled omelet that tastes like french toast. I rolled these poorly but the beauty of this is that anyone can do it and it does not matter what it looks like in the end. It always tastes divine. The Tamagoyaki recipe came from " The Just Bento Cookbook: Everyday Lunches to Go" by Makiko Itoh.

I love this book, the meals have more calories than I like, but since the recipes are all separate I can mix them up anyway I like. The recipes are all easy to follow and oh so delicious. Bear and I used to have Bento lunches all the time. I'm not quite sure why we stopped making them, but this book has reawakened a desire to start up again. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment