Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Chocolate Mug Cake

This decadent chocolate cake can be made in five minutes. Yes just five! But remember, just because it can be made every five minutes doesn't mean it should be ;) There are several recipes out on the web for this cake and they are all almost the same. I found it to be slightly bland so I took it and made it my own (small surprise there). I also made a simple frosting for it. Use a large mug (or bowl). It will rise quite a bit and the larger the mug the more likely it is to stay intact.
You will need:
4 tablespoons of flour (I used Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour)
4 tablespoons of granulated sugar
2 tablespoons of cocoa
1 egg ( I have yet to try this with a flax seed substitute)
3 tablespoons Milk ( I used Blue Diamond Natural Unsweetened Almond Milk)
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon light sour cream
3 tablespoons chocolate chips
Almond extract (use a tiny amount)
1 large coffee mug

Mix the first three ingredients in the mug. Mix the egg in. Then mix the rest of the ingredients together. It's that simple. Pop it into the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes. Time will vary with different microwaves. Wait for it to cool if you want to frost it. My frosting is extremely rich and sweet. It pares nicely with the cake but I would not suggest going overboard with it. For my simple frosting (and none to original frosting) you will need:
6 tablespoons of Confectioner sugar
3 tablespoons of softened butter (Country Crock works wonderfully for this)
2 tablespoons of cocoa (you can use just one tablespoon for a more milk chocolate taste).
Whip the ingredients with a fork (or mixer) till light and fluffy. Frost your cooled cake. Eat. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful recipe! If you're interested in more recipes like this, please visit my site, www.microwavemugcakes.com, where you can find a free recipe for a Blueberry Muffin Microwave Mug Cake. It comes from my book, "101 Recipes for Microwave Mug Cakes."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great!! I want to tryyy it :) Thanks for keeping me posted on your blog--- I tend to get side tracked with all those I am following! Hope all is well -- I don't know how you keep up all these blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Stacey and Ria, To Stacey I have to change recipes to be gluten free, but that book does look like fun, thank you. To Ria, I don't sleep well. Blogging or reading relaxes me so I can go back to bed and that's how I keep up :)

    ReplyDelete